Cambridge University Symphony Chorus Auditions
Standard audition format for CUSC:
The audition is very friendly and lasts about eight minutes. The audition is carried out by the Musical Director, Richard Wilberforce, or his assistant. You will be asked some of the following:
- Sing some scales and/or arpeggios to demonstrate vocal range and quality.
- Sing a short melody: the melody will be played twice on the piano first.
- Complete some simple ear tests: e.g. picking out a note from a chord.
- Pitch some basic intervals.
- Sing a short passage at sight: an opportunity for a ‘second go’ is offered, credit being given for the ability to correct at a subsequent reading.
In addition, you will be asked to prepare a short piece from the chorus’s current repertoire – plenty of warning will be given about this and the music will be made available well in advance.
CU Symphony Chorus usually rehearses weekly on Thursday nights 7.30pm – 9.45pm during the university term in St Paul’s Church, Hills Road.