Do you want to be part of Cambridge’s most diverse, ambitious and exciting yet friendly and sociable music society? If so, this is the place for you.
Sign Up for an Audition
Why audition for CUMS?
- CUMS offers unrivalled opportunities for music-making in Cambridge. As well as attracting Cambridge’s finest student talent, our ensembles frequently work with top professional conductors and soloists and perform a wide range of ambitious and exciting repertoire.
- CUMS is run by students, and supported by professionals. Student committees are responsible for the day-to-day running of their ensembles and have a large say in how the Society operates, the programmes the ensembles perform and the artists they work with. The support of industry professionals enables rehearsals and concerts to happen as smoothly and successfully as possible.
- You will get the opportunity to perform in stunning venues which have recently included King’s College Chapel, Saffron Hall, West Road Concert Hall, Trinity College Chapel and Kings Place, London.
- Members of CUO and CUS receive professional instrumental coaching with every orchestral project, delivered by a musician from one of the top London orchestras.
- The auditions process is friendly and unintimidating, and ensures that you are placed in the ensemble which suits you best.
- Cambridge life isn’t all about hard work, and you’ll find that being a member of CUMS doesn’t end in the rehearsal room! We’ve got an active social calendar, based around post-concert parties, formal halls, Society get-togethers and dinners, plus informal post-rehearsal pub trips and curries.
- The Society’s ensembles frequently go on tour. Recent destinations have included Montreal, Tuscany, Prague, Cologne, Ghent, Boston Massachusetts, Austria and Sweden.
- Performing with CUMS is a great way to meet like-minded musicians from around the University and beyond. You’ll develop friendships which could last a lifetime.
Your musical interests, ambitions and standard will be important in determining which group is for you. Read through the profiles of the ensembles to find out more:
- Cambridge University Orchestra – Cambridge’s premier orchestra, who perform a variety of chamber and symphonic works with professional conductors and soloists.
- Cambridge University Sinfonia – A high-achieving symphony orchestra directed by visiting professionals and Cambridge’s finest student conductors.
- Cambridge University Wind Orchestra – A dynamic and sociable wind orchestra which performs a variety of music from symphonic works to more popular items.
- Cambridge University Symphony Chorus – East Anglia’s most ambitious choral society. Performs with East Anglia Chamber Orchestra and the Seraphin Project in King’s College Chapel, West Road Concert Hall and Saffron Hall
- Cambridge University Chamber Choir – A superb small choir, made up of Cambridge’s finest Choral Scholars.
- Cambridge University Percussion Ensemble – An exciting ensemble which draws together the finest percussionists in the University
- Cambridge University Jazz Orchestra – The University’s premier big band
- Cambridge University New Music Group – A flexible ensemble that specialises in performing contemporary and modern music at the highest possible standards